Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Holiday Season

What ever happened to Christmas?
It seems that people are too caught up in what they want for Christmas, and all the "retail" sales that are going on, instead of the true meaning of Christmas. I had a customer come through my line yesterday that was a Catholic priest and he took a minute and told me about a little boy in his Church. I guess this little boy and his family are pretty poor and he wasn't sure what their Christmas morning was going to be like, because his Dad got laid off from work a few months ago. Well, the Priest was very moved with how honest the boy was that he told them that the Church could help them out. (In Utah, they have the Catholic services too) I guess that the little boy told him that he didn't want anything but wanted to make sure his younger brother and sister got something cause he didn't want them to hate Santa. The priest was at Sam's Club buying a doll, a truck, coats, etc for this family and it really made me think. I was just about crying at work. But what a great thing for this little boy to think of his younger siblings over himself. How many kids would do that nowadays? I know that this priest wasn't just telling me a story, cause I have seen him help others right in our store. But it sure made me think.
I remember several Christmases when we didn't have much, and Mom sure made them great anyways. I still have a little purple dog that she crocheted for me when I was in the 5th grade. She used to make so many cool things for us and make Christmas awesome. Remember the Christmas ornaments that she used to make out of everything from styrofoam and plastic (with animals in it) to pictures on cds. She used to glue them onto the shiny side of the cd and hang them up.
So as you are all out there running in circles to find the newest video games, cds, toys, coats, etc. Think of those who may not have as much and see if you can donate something to them. I know that we don't have much this year, but I always give money to the Marines so they can use it for the Toys for Tots program. Plus, as you walk by that Bell RInger in front of the store...drop in a handful of change...every little bit helps.
I know I am sounding like I am preaching, but I am not, it's just my opinion but after talking to that Priest and hearing about that family, it just made me think a little more about the true meaning of Christmas.
Hope you all have a wonderful holiday season, and I love and miss you all.

16 comments:

Suusi said...

Yeah I'm jaded. I think the commercialization of Christmas has ruined it. Even at the Temple grounds seeing how people act kills me.

I'm down to honest to heck, if you want help from an organization or a church you should faithfully attend that organization or church all year long. It shouldn't be left to kids to beg for themselves or their siblings once a year. It's teaching a poor message.

It's a sweet story, but really...I'll give him his props for sympathy and compassion. I'm disappointed in the boys parents.

Like I've said I'm jaded. By lies to get things, lies to give things, and lies to do whatever the heck anyone wants without a thought to anything but wants.

Yeah...I've had a welfare Christmas or 8 or 9. Ones my parents worked like heck to make for us. They didn't beg anyone else to make it great for us...they helped us realize that Christmas shouldn't be a huge thing with gifts galore. No...Christmas is the one season that our kids don't get hundreds of presents.

And we did it that way for a reason. I just hope they take it with them later in life and teach their kids...all those gifts aren't important at all.

Fran and Deon said...

I agree with you. I think that if you have a church, etc help you out, then the least you can do is help them in return.
What a better world it would be if people would celebrate Christmas the way it was meant to be.

Anonymous said...

Well said both of you!

Aunt Fran...on a totally other note; quidditch is from Harry Potter. They fly on their broomsticks and try to score goals while the seeker for each team tries to catch the snitch. JT is going to be surprised when he finds out you don't know what quidditch is. He always acts taken aback when people say they haven't read the books or seen the movies. He's seen all the movies that are out and we're halfway through reading the seventh book. He loves everything Harry Potter! I'm sure my mom will answer your question on her blog too!

Tim and Terrie (tnt) said...

I agree with you on Christmas!! It is crazy...people just want everything handed to them on a silver platter....last time I checked Christmas was not about recieving...but about giving!!!

Great Post Fran!!!

Suusi said...

Ahem, Fran...you can come over and watch ALL of the Harry Potter movies thus far ;] I adore them!

And the books, got those too, and love them!! Haha

S

Tim and Terrie (tnt) said...

Read the books first Fran!!! They are the best!!!

Also thanks for changing the color on your post...Man that red and green killed the eyes!!

Read the books watch the movies and let us know what you think!!!

Fran and Deon said...

I guess I am a loser, cause I have never seen a Harry Potter movie or cracked open a book about Harry Potter. I just don't think I would find them to be to my taste. But I am weird. TerrieBeth, JT can laugh too, cause I had no idea what that game was. I am so behind the times...lol

Tim and Terrie (tnt) said...

Fran...that is the same way I felt until last month when I started reading them....it is hard to put them down...you should borrow the first one from Suz and go from there. I think you would like them...because I did ;o)

Suusi said...

They are excellent Fran, much more so than the movies. And well...I personally like Sedrick before he became Edward ;o)

There is so much happening in them they are a breeze to read.

And well I read Twilight! So time to pick em up and read em!

Tim and Terrie (tnt) said...

Sounds like you have no choice...we all read Twilight so now you get to read Harry Potter...just try the first one ;o)

Suusi said...

Yeah or I may get you the darn cd's no excuses then!!!

Fran and Deon said...

ok ok ok....I GIVE!!!! LOL
Suzi I will borrow the first book from you, when do you want to bring it by?? I work all flippin' weekend

Tim and Terrie (tnt) said...

Yahoo!!!

Fran and Deon said...

Terrie,
You are so weird!! hahahaha

Suusi said...

Buahahahaha!!

I can bring it buy any day you want...just give me a heads up!

I work tomorrow, but can drop it by tomorrow night?!

Oh and Clem works the 20th...I forgot until now, do we want to do an early dinner??

Fran and Deon said...

We can do an early dinner if that works out for you guys....let me know